Until June 2017 he was Chairman of the boards of Shell South Africa Holdings (Pty) Ltd; Shell Downstream South Africa (Pty) Ltd; Shell South Africa Refinery (Pty) Ltd and South African Petroleum Refinery (SAPREF).
Until the end of 2008, he spent 6 years as the CEO of Drake & Scull FM SA where he was also a member of the Exco.
Prior to that he was CE, Shared Services and associated companies of Sanlam; a member of the Exco; alternate director of the Sanlam Limited main board; chairman of the board of TASC; a director of Innofin; Gensec Property Services and Fundamo. Until 2002, he was the CE, Corporate Marketing, Sanlam.
Previous positions included being Executive VP at SAA; MD of OTIS (PTY) LTD, the world’s biggest and oldest elevator company.
After spending four years at Wits Medical School, he acquired Business and Management experience by spending more than ten years in the pharmaceutical industry progressing through various positions, including product management and new business development management.
In 1994, he joined Sandoz Products (Pty) Limited (now Novartis) as HEAD: Public Affairs and Communications Department and a member of the Exco.
Bonang’s post-graduate business education includes:
1999 July Passed Chartered Marketer [CM (SA)] Board Exams at the Institute of Marketing Management (IMM)
1999 May United Technologies Corporation (UTC) Executive Programme at the Darden Graduate School of Business Administration – University of Virginia, Charlottesville, USA
1999 April Total Quality Management – (including TPM, QCPC, RRCA, MFA, MP, Passport, etc.) at ITO University in Madrid, Spain
1997 International Programme in Management (OTIS`Making Magic Work) at the International Institute for Management Development (IMD) in Lausanne, Switzerland
1997 Director Development Programme through Carl Duisberg Gesellenschaft on behalf of the Government of the Federal Republic of Germany
1996 Finance for Non-Financial managers in Paris, France
1993 Eighteen months post-graduate advanced diploma in Marketing Management with the title of his dissertation being “The Future of Health Care in South Africa: Implications for Marketing in The Pharmaceutical Industry” (IMM).
1991 Three year Diploma in Marketing Management (IMM)
1989 Basics of Pharmacology at Wits Medical School (TPS)
1986 Certificate in Marketing and Sales Management with distinction and a merit award (DMS)
Bonang has been blessed to share a stage with international speakers and authors such as Dr. Stephen R. Covey and delivered numerous papers at various fora, inter alia, Executive MBA Students from UPPSALA University, Sweden ; Institute of International Business, Stockholm School of Economics ; AGN Channel for MBA students of the Graduate School of Management, Potchefstroom University and Graduate Institute of Business Science.
In recognition of his achievements, Bonang was awarded:
- “The Momentum Friendship Blazer” in recognition for being the ‘first RSA Nation Building Champion’.
- he was the winner of both the ‘Country’ (RSA) & ‘SADC Regional’ “TITANS – BUILDING THE NATION” CEO Magazine Awards.
- he was conferred with an Honorary Professorship in Marketing Management by the University of Pretoria, where he serves on their Advisory Council.
- he was awarded the IPM CEO of the Year – 2012
- he has been named South African Facilities Management Association’s ‘Personality of the Year and the Black Management Forum’s Manager of the Year and he received the Presidential Award for his “Servanthood in South African Industry & the Economic Empowerment of Previously Disadvantaged Individuals”.
He regularly runs Life-Skills and Motivational Seminars for students and has been awarded Honorary Membership of Technikon Northwest Alumni Association in recognition of services rendered to the youth.
Organisation memberships, in the last 20 years, include:
- the Free State Human Resources Development Council
- 20 years at the Institute of Marketing Management (IMM) [later Marketing Federation of SA (MFSA)]
- Institute of Directors (IOD)
- Young Presidents’ Organization (YPO)
- South Africa Israel Chamber of Commerce (SAICC)
- FBC SA (Pty) Limited
- Chairman of South Africa Netherlands Chamber of Commerce (SANEC)
- Hollard Insurance Company Limited (Lead Independent Non-Executive Director, Member of Audit Committee until March 2012 & Chairman of the Social & Ethics Committee)
- Swiss Re Africa Limited
- 2012 – 2105 – President of the Black Management Forum
- South African Airways (Pty) Limited (former Chair of both Audit Committee until September 2010 & SA Travel Centre Board)
- South African Express Airways (Pty) Limited (former Chair of REMCO)
Chairmanships to date: Chartered Marketer of S.A. and South Africa Netherlands Chamber of Commerce.
His former Chairmanships include, among others: Marketing Association of SA ; Institute of Marketing Management (IMM) ; Sedibeng Primary Health Care Management Committee ; Heart Foundation (Gauteng) ; Black Management Forum – Johannesburg Branch
Awards and recognitions include: CEO Magazine Country and Regional Winner of “The Titans Building the Nation Award” ; SAFMA Award for FM Personality of the Year ; The Logistics Achiever Award by 10 Industry Associated Organisations for the Outstanding Achievement in Logistics in Inventory Management at IALCH ; 96% rating by COHSASA for the Effective Management of a Clinical Facility at IALCH; Most Transformed Supplier – Standard Bank.
Bonang has been a guest on numerous International TV, radio and magazine programmes. He travels regularly to the rest of Africa, Europe and the Americas.