Born on the 27th of February, 1958, and while still at school, Naas represented his province in Rugby, Baseball and Softball. At an International level, he played Rugby and SA u/16 Baseball 1972/73
His provincial debut came in 1977 when NE Transvaal played SE Transvaal. In all, he played 179 (127 as Captain) for Northerns.
His International Debut was 1980 ‘ SA vs. South America (Jaguars) and the number of tests for which he was capped was 28 (8 as captain). He captained the springboks in 1992, scoring a total of 365 points.
His other international representation included : World XV (1986 & 1992), French, Italian and American Barbarians, American Football (1983 &84) and Rovigo in Italy (6 years).
Other Interesting stats on Naas
- Received the Victor Ludorum Award for Athletics in High School;
- First player to score 300+ points in a season;
- Youngest player in Currie cup Final ‘ 19 in 1977;
- Youngest winning Captain in Currie Cup Final ‘ 22 in 1980;
- Only player to score 2 hat-tricks of drops in a test; 1980 vs. Jaguars, 1981 vs. Ireland;
- Most drop goals in first-class Rugby ‘ 172;
- Only player ever to be chosen as SA Rugby Player of the Year on 4 occasions ‘ 1979, 1981, 1985 and 1987.
His other interests include Golf and movies. He presently works on SuperSport as TV Commentator and Analyst, and he is a Director of a Sports Management Group and business entrepreneur.