Captain Londy Ngcobo
A Global Ship Navigator and Africa’s First Female Dredge Master, Captain Londy Ngcobo is determined to unlock Africa’s ocean economy. With over 14 years of experience in the Maritime industry, her background includes Maritime Studies, International Merchant shipping experience, Advanced Dredging from the Netherlands IHC, an industry-shaking role as a former Executive Maritime Compliance Manager for Transnet National Ports Authority, and now she is Chief Executive of Womaritime Experts and Founder of Global Maritime Youth. All of these achievements explain her nickname of “The BLACKMERMAID”.
This Black Excellence award-winning Woman in Scarce Skills serves on various boards in the transport sector and on other influential organisations within leadership, women, and youth spheres. All of these are part of Londy’s goals to ensuring continuous growth and development of Africa’s transport professions; this will be achieved through advocacy, training and awareness as well as by strengthening the competitiveness and employment creating potential for Africans.
As a mother and wife, Londy is driven by being involved in the empowerment of women and youth. Her experience has equipped her with the ability to focus on providing sustainable tools for women to thrive and her zest for life encourages the youth to think outside the box.
As she said at the 2020 Forbes Africa Woman Leading Women Summit, “I didn’t choose to be a rose from the Titanic, I chose to Captain the Titanic!’ And through her popular TEDx Talk “Anchors Aweigh, No Rest For The First” this Blackmermaid sure is making waves on land.
Londy’s Awards and recognition include her being:
- named in Avance Media’s the 2020 ‘100 Most Influential Young South Africans, and in the same year,
- acclaimed the KZN Ambassador in the ‘Gagasi FM Shero Awards’
- the 2nd runner-up for 2019 in the ‘Women In Transport (Leadership category)
- included in the ‘Walk Of Fame Monument – Maritime Pioneers’ – Transnet National Ports Authority (2019)
- in the Top 30 under 40 Most Influential Younger Women in Africa
- a winner in the ‘Women In Leadership Awards’
- Transnet Chief Executive Awards
- Best Innovation Award
- Black Excellence Awards
- Standard Bank SA Rising Stars Awards
- International Standards awards – SOLAS
- Women In Transport Awards – Top 3 (Leadership category)
- Ndalo Media’s Destiny Magazine “Power Of 40” feature
- One of 44 Young Leaders
- Top 30 under 40 Most Influential Woman in Maritime, Logistics , Oil & Gas
- In The Spotlight Speaker Recognition – 2020
- SA Township Legend Award
- Clermont Most Influential Woman – 2019