With a comedy career spanning over 15 years and with numerous nominations and awards (including ‘Comic of the Year’ for three consecutive years and ‘Favourite Comedian’) under her belt, Tumi Morake continues to be a formidable force in the comedy industry.
Since starting her comedy career in smoky clubs in 2006, she has steadily grown into one of SA’s most sought-after comedians, earning her the title of South Africa’s ‘First Lady of Comedy’ – not bad for a wife and mother of three.
Her list of notable credentials include, but are not limited to:-
- current breakfast co-host on Motsweding FM; 2017
- co-host on Jacaranda FM Breakfast
- 2018 debut of her memoir entitled, ‘And Then Mama Said’
- leading roles in local feature films including ‘3 Days To Go’, the Netflix Original ‘Seriously Single’
- producing and writing her own film productions
- part of an unprecedented stand-up comedy event series on Netflix as the first African female stand-up to have her own comedy special on Netflix (2019)
- columnist in the Saturday Star and guest columns for a variety of publications
- 2017 brand ambassador for Menlyn Jaguar Landrover
- TV presenter roles including: ‘Point of Order’, ‘Red Cake’ and her self-produced show called ‘WTFTumi’
- 2017 co-presenter at the SAMA’s and the Naledi Awards
- touring around South Africa with her own shows as well as those where she teamed-up with Ndumiso Lindi for ‘Married – but Not To Each Other’.
Tumi has proven herself as one of a handful of successful female comedians on the corporate and commercial scenes. Her edgy and unpredictable brand of comedy has wowed audiences around the globe. She has shared the stage with the likes of David Kau, Marc Lottering, Barry Hilton, and Chris Forrest and has earned her place as a headliner in comedy festivals such as the Kings & Queens of Comedy. She’s bold, she’s sassy and you simply cannot ignore her!
Some other highlights of her career include being the first woman to host ‘Comedy Central Presents’ on African soil and ticking off a bucket list item, she took her one-woman show to the famed Edinburgh Festival in Scotland in 2013. Not one to be limited by borders, Morake’s comedy has also seen her wow audiences in Wimbledon, Ghana, Zimbabwe, and Botswana.
Morake has been the face of major campaigns with Vodacom, Kellogs and Sanlam. As a producer, her work has been nominated in various categories at the South African Film and Television Awards, which she has hosted twice. The same is true for the prestigious SAMA Awards.
She is a recipient of the ‘Mboko Women in the Arts Award for Excellence in Comedy’.
Morake’s continental claim to fame began as the host of The Big Brother Hot Room, a comical round-up of Big Brother Africa. She also spent two seasons on the judging panel of eTV’s ‘She’s The One’.
Her star continued to rise as host of the ever-trending ‘Our Perfect Wedding’ for a record 3 seasons after public demand for her return.
Tumi Morake, in true multitasking-woman style, has channelled her comedy into writing, acting and producing. She will have her cake and she WILL eat it, because she can.