Basadi Duo – Women of Jazz
This instrumental duo comprises two very-talented South African sisters. They bring exclusively fresh, diverse and rich variety in the form of their wide repertoire of Afro-pop, Jazz, Blues and more.
Both sisters have a bountiful passion for the arts, reading, travelling and languages and they have 2 major awards to their name. Having delivered over 1000 live performances across 28 countries for almost 20 years, they have also performed in live broadcasts to millions of global television viewers.
The sisters are the celebrated flautist Mabatho Masopha who founded the original quintet, Basadi – Women of Jazz; and her elder sister, Dineo who is a highly-rhythmic percussionist.
Both classically trained and graduates, the duo has been praised for their versatility in performing music which covers different eras, for their stage presence and innate talent for establishing a wonderful rapport with their audiences public.
Their career highlights include:
- being honoured as ‘Outstanding Performers’ in 2009 by the University of Foreign Languages and Information Technology- HUFLIT in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
- performing at top events like:
- Miss South Africa,
- the FIFA Congress Gala Dinner
- the World Cup Launch (2010)
- the RASA and Limpopo Sports Awards
- COSATU’s National Conference Women in Construction Awards
- the Gauteng Premier’s International Solidarity and Cultural Gala Dinner
- the International Science and Technology Gala Dinner
- for the National Union of Mine Workers
- the Government Communicators (SAPS) Awards
- the EU Ambassadors Gala Dinner
- the Royal Swedish and Denmark Heritage function
- SA Women’s Celebration and The Nelson Mandela Exhibition Launch Tour (Paris, Slovenia, Slovakia Austria, Japan, Indonesia, Malaysia, Egypt, Algeria, Rwanda, Norway and Poland
- as well as at numerous numerous corporate and private parties, events and showcases.
- Other great career moments include having performed for the World leaders, dignitaries and sharing stages with the likes of Yvonne Chaka Chaka, Hugh Masekela, Salif Keita, Oliver Mutukudzi, Brenda Fassie and the Danish Symphonic Orchestra.
Further international recognition includes radio and television live broadcast interviews across 22 channels, including countries such as the UK and Vietnam. But they state their greatest ongoing achievement is giving back to their community with Basadi Music School Development programme in the townships.